Thursday, January 18, 2007

Persistence

When you speak to someone who practices taichi it is common to ask "how long have you been practicing taichi?" The answer is almost always "3 yrs", "5 yrs.", "20 yrs", etc. Very few would answer like me "3 months". At 3 months I am not expected to know much. In the 108 step taichi I am learning, I still don't know the name and exact order of every move. Learning taichi is a lifelong pursuit.

In a world of instant gratification, 24 hour internet access, multi-tasking, and fast food taichi is an aberration. How many people today would even dare to start something that will take years to learn? Give me the Cliffnotes please. I don't want to read the book, is the video out yet? Taichi will take years to learn well. If you are not persistenct better just forget it and take up badminton.


I'm generally a pretty fast learner. Its nice to focus on something that will take me years, maybe even decades to learn well. Following Jesus is the same. There are no instant disciples. It takes persistence.

No comments: