Saturday, September 23, 2006

Stay Close to the Master

I decided to blog about this experience because it seems like there are valuable lessons in tai chi, and I would like to write about them as I learn them. That way, maybe I won't forget them. Since I'm a newbie it is entirely possible that I will misunderstand and get things wrong, but this blog is about my perceptions as a Westerner joining a group of Chinese practicing tai chi. The lessons I learn are subjective and so this blog will be subjective as well. Right off the bat, I want to say that I am "learning to follow the Master Jesus as well, and I see a lot of parallels in the Sifu/Learner relationship in TaiChi. I promise to try not to be preachy.

This morning when we practice tai chi, the sifu took us through the first 24 steps. I started out near the back of the group, but one of the other members told me that I should stand right behind the sifu. He said "right behind the sifu is the best place, because you can see every move." By the way in case you don't know a sifu is a master, a teacher. If you're following a teacher, a master, a sifu best place to learn is right behind him. When you're out in front you can't see what the sifu is doing and you won't know-how to make the right moves, where to put your feet or what to do. If you're beside the sifu, it works okay but often your head is turned watching the sifu and that gets your body out of balance. When you stand right behind the sifu you go follow his steps, and pretty much see you what his hands are doing as well. It's the best place.

If your new person following the sifu Jesus, the best place to be is right behind him, up close, where you can see how he moves in what he does. The best way to do that, that is, the best way I know it is to take time to listen to him. For me reading the Bible with a listening heart, then writing and meditating on what I've heard helps me to follow Jesus and learn his way. The master Jesus promises that if we draw near to him that he will draw near to us. Stay close to the sifu.

No comments: