Thursday, October 05, 2006

Centering

This morning during TaiChi I felt really "leuhnjeuhn", that's Chinese for "clumsy". My shorts were too long and I could feel them dragging on me when I tried to balance on one foot and kick. Mr. Lai, the 70+ year old man, who is helping me is constantly telling me to be careful of "my center". Instead of balance, he says "center". As you move from foot to foot, it is vital that your center of gravity shift. If you don't shift your center, you can't properly make the next move. Footwork, balance and centering are crucial basic skills. Our sifu, Mr. Lau (in his 60's) called me up the other day and had me lean into him and push against him. My 220 lbs couldn't budge his 150 lb frame. He put down roots and I couldn't move him.

Jesus followers in the 1st century cautioned "be careful how you walk". They were talking about life, not TaiChi, but I think they would agree "watch your step, keep centered, step carefully, maintain balance. But what does that mean for a follower of Christ? I can't speak for everyone, but I know I need to stay Jesus centered. When I move from one activity to another, I need to refocus on Jesus and what he wants to do in my life and through my life at that instance. If I run ahead without centering, I inevitably open my mouth, insert foot, say or do something stupid or hurtful. I don't want to become paranoid, just "centered". I want to be able to stand on one foot like a crane!

No comments: