Saturday, October 07, 2006

4 leung move 1000 catties

Last night was Mid Autumn Festival so only 4 of us showed up for TaiChi this morning. I was early and everyone else showed up late, because they were out late with the family, picnicing, enjoying the lanterns and the grandkids. Mr. Lai took me through the 108 steps once. I thought we were doing 24 step, but turns out I've been learning the more complex one. He hopes I'll be ready to practice on my own by the time I go to Bali for meetings. I hope so too.

After practicing taichi we stood and chatted. The sifu told me I need to keep my head up and look ahead not down. He said that the theory of taichi is "4 leung moves 1000 catties". 4 leung is around 8 ounces. 1000 catties is around 1000 lbs. He said he didn't need to overcome my strength and mass to defeat me, but rather "borrow" my strength, momentum and mass to beat me. Taichi works not by direct resistance, but by subterfuge, by using your strength against you.

No comments: